Tag Archives: Oscar De La Hoya

Pacquiao, De La Hoya wrap up promo tour in LA

by Joseph Pimentel/AJPress

EAST LOS ANGELES – The final leg of the Manny Pacquiao and Oscar De La Hoya publicity tour started with a shot and a big chug.

A Tequila Cazadores official kicked off the press conference by opening a large bottle of tequila, poured himself a shot and downed the alcoholic beverage in front of a large pro-Mexican crowd in East Los Angeles.

Meanwhile, Mexican-American comedian George Lopez, who served as the emcee, grabbed the bottle and downed it akin to a scene in the Animal House.

After going around on a six city tour of the US for the past week-in-a-half, many members of the De La Hoya and Pacquiao camps needed a drink to relieve them of all their travels.

“All I can say is that it’s good to finally be back home,” said Freddie Roach, Pacquiao’s trainer.

“I was glad to see all the Filipinos from everywhere,” added Pacquiao. “It makes me feel good knowing that all those Filipinos I met are all supporting me.”

“I am home,” said De La Hoya. “This is where it all started for me.”

“We visited all the historic monuments across the US —the Statue of Liberty in New York, the Sears Tower in Chicago, the Space Needle in Houston, the Alamo in San Antonio, and the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco but here, East LA, this is our monument,” added De La Hoya to the pro-Mexican crowd.
On a sweltering hot day, Mexicans and a small number of Filipino fans gathered underneath the Whittier Arch, the gateway to East LA, to watch two of the most popular stars in boxing announce their upcoming match on December 6 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

The fight titled The Dream Match is expected to be one of the highest grossing fights in the history of boxing, possibly even surpassing last year’s multi-million dollar mega match between De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Cheerleaders from Oscar De La Hoya Charter High School waved their blue and yellow pom-poms, a red-suited mariachi band blasted its traditional music, and people were literally on the roof and climbed up windowsills trying to catch a glimpse of boxing’s pound-4-pound great Pacquiao and boxing’s biggest box office draw De La Hoya.

Filipino Jeff Sacro of Carson arrived to the press conference early.

“I’m here to support Manny,” said Sacro, who was flanked by jeering Mexican fans. “I’m always there for all of his fights in Las Vegas.”

FilAm Jason V., who did not want to use his last name because he skipped work to attend the event, said he’s also here to support Pacquiao.

“He’s No. 1,” said Jason.

Sacro said that Pacquiao’s match against De La Hoya would be his toughest because of the Mexican’s long reach advantage.

“I just want Manny to fight until the end,” said Sacro, who originally hails from Cavite, Philippines. “Don’t quit. De La Hoya is big but Manny’s quick. We love Manny.”

Biggest fight of career

Roach said that he’s happy that the publicity tour is over because it’s time for him and Pacquiao to go back to work at the Wildcard Boxing Club.

Roach admits this is the biggest fight of not only Pacquiao’s career but his as well.

“After this, no more small fights,” said Roach. “All mega fights from here on out – Ricky Hatton or even Floyd Mayweather Jr. if he comes back.”

The Hall of Fame boxing trainer said that Pacquiao’s like a son to him. He wants to make sure Pacquiao is prepared and gives maximum effort.

“I’m 90 percent sure that Pacquiao will win this fight,” said Roach to the Asian Journal. “I don’t think Oscar can stay with Manny’s pace. Manny’s too fast for him.”

To combat Pacquiao’s speed, De La Hoya has hired Pacquiao’s nemesis Juan Manuel Marquez’s trainer Ignacio Beristain to help prepare for this fight.

Beristain has already warned De La Hoya of Pacquiao’s ring speed.

“He told to me watch out for Pacquiao and prepare for 12-rounds of boxing,” said De La Hoya. “He’s fast but he has to look for my right hand.”

Pacquiao, who has been plagued with distractions in several of his fights, said that this fight he’s more focused and determined.

“This time I’m really focused,” he said. “No more visitors at house. I’m just going to stay in the gym and head home. This fight won’t have any distractions.”

This fight is also of importance to Pacquiao not because he’s facing the Golden Boy but that this might be one of his last fights.

“I think maybe one or two more fights after this,” he said.   (www.asianjournal.com)

1 Comment

Filed under News

Pacquiao, De La Hoya take Lady Liberty by storm

by Momar Visaya/AJPress

NEW YORK – In a historic first, boxing superstars Manny Pacquiao and Oscar de la Hoya took the city by storm and appeared at the Statue of Liberty Wednesday, October 1, to promote their mega-fight: The Dream Match-De La Hoya Vs Pacquiao.

The press conference was the first of a series of events that organizers have planned to promote the epic match. The unprecedented presscon is the first ever staged on the historic Liberty Island, home to the iconic Statue of Liberty, America’s most famous landmark.

Pacquiao and De La Hoya are two of the biggest attractions in the world of boxing and their much-awaited match-up is something that aficionados have been waiting for. De La Hoya, the Olympic gold medalist and 10-time world champion will meet Ring Magazine’s current No. 1-ranked pound for pound champion, Manny Pacquiao on Saturday, December 6 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The fight, touted as the grand finale of the 2008 boxing calendar year, sold out in hours and established a live gate of nearly $17 million, making it the second largest grossing gate in boxing history after the De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather fight held in May 2007 which featured a record-breaking $19 million gate.

“This is the biggest fight of my career and I am looking forward to this match because I know that De La Hoya is also an exciting player. I will do my best to bring honor and glory to my country, the Philippines and my fellow Filipinos around the world,” Pacquiao said after the presscon, as he signed autographs on shirts, boxing gloves, tickets to Liberty Island, even press Ids and posters.

For De La Hoya, it is not just about regaining old glory, it is about fighting the best and winning. “Manny Pacquiao is considered as the best fighter in boxing today and I always want to fight the best. They say I am old and I can’t fight him. I am challenged by that. I am 35 but that is not old,” De La Hoya told the Asian Journal on the way back to Manhattan via a ferry to Liberty.

Pacquiao, who won world titles at flyweight (112 lbs), super-bantam (122 lbs), super-feather (130 lbs) and lightweight (135 lbs) will be fighting for the first time at welterweight (147 lbs). Some consider him as the underdog because at 5’10.5″, De La Hoya is four inches taller than Pacquiao and his reach is 72 inches against Pacquiao‘s 67.

Though not a title fight, a welterweight victory over De La Hoya in the same year he held his previous titles would be equivalent to Henry Armstrong’s historic year of 1938 when he simultaneously held the featherweight, lightweight and welterweight titles.

“We all know about the battle between David and Goliath and who won in the end, right?” Bob Arum, Top Rank’s top man said, much to the cheers and screams of the predominantly Filipino fans who trooped to the Statue of Liberty to see the presscon. Pacquiao said that he gets inspired by the support of fans wherever he goes.

“When I take that walk to the ring to fight Oscar, I will carry all the people of the Philippines on my shoulders. I promise I will fight with all my heart and that I will give everything I have. Like my trainer Freddie Roach says, I have what it takes to win the biggest fight of my life,” he said. For De La Hoya, he shared that he is excited and can’t wait for December 6 to arrive. “I am glad that we were able to make this fight happen because while Pacquiao is at the pinnacle of his success and has defeated all of the top fighters he has faced, I am going to show the world that it stops with me,” he said.

Team Pacquiao and Team De La Hoya, together with their promoters, Top Rank, Inc. and Golden Boy Promotions will also travel to Chicago, Houston, San Antonio, San Francisco and Los Angeles to promote the match. The last stop will be where the Golden Boy grew up—Whittier Boulevard Arch in East LA on October 7.

(www.asianjournal.com)

Leave a comment

Filed under News

Pacquiao vs De La Hoya tickets now available

by Joseph Pimentel/AJPress
LOS ANGELES — Golden Boy Promotions and Top Rank announced that ticket sales for “The Dream Match” between Oscar De La Hoya and Manny Pacquiao started to go on sale Wednesday, Sept. 24.
The 12-round welterweight super fight between six-division world champion De La Hoya and No. 1 pound-forpound fighter Pacquiao is slated for Dec. 6 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Top Rank President Bob Arum said that the demand for the tickets has been remarkable.

“There are very few tickets left because the orders have been tremendous,” Arum told the Asian Journal. “I know the people in the Philippines are ordering a massive amount of tickets.”

During the interview, Arum referred to De La Hoya as the “Mexican kid” in jest. He said that the fight is going to live up to the hype.

“It’s going to be a great fight and I know the Mexican kid is bigger and a tremendous fighter but I think Manny’s speed and determination will give him the edge,” said Arum. “And Freddy Roach and I see this fight the same way that Manny will win the fight and it won’t be close. He’ll win it decisively.”

Tickets are priced at $1,500, $1,000, $750, $500, $250, and $150.

Top Rank officials said that ticket sales are limited to two per person at each price level with a total ticket limit of four per person. Tickets are available online at http://www.mgmgrand. com, http://www.ticketmaster. com or by calling Ticketmaster.  (www.asianjournal.com)

Leave a comment

Filed under News

Pacquiao vs. De La Hoya Talks Stall: Golden Boy CEO says 75% Sure Fight will Happen

by Joseph Pimentel/AJPress
LOS ANGELES – Three key issues are stalling the proposed Manny Pacquiao vs. Oscar De La Hoya mega match up, according to Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaeffer.

Schaeffer said he met with Top Rank President Bob Arum, Pacquiao’s promoter, for two hours Wednesday but both sides could not come up with a consensus agreement about the deals of the fight which would be slated for December 6 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

The three issues stalling the deal are the size of the boxing gloves, De La Hoya’s weight limit, and the financial split.

“Oscar hasn’t made 147 pounds in almost ten years,” said Schaeffer to the Asian Journal during the Shane Mosley vs. Ricardo Mayorga press conference. “And we know from experience that a boxer could lose the match on the scales. The size of the gloves is also an issue. Oscar is used to wearing 10 ounce gloves while Manny usually wears 8 ounce gloves in his fights.”

“[And] the financial split is what it is,” he said. “Every time I negotiate a De La Hoya fight it’s the same thing. Suddenly the opponent feels they should make Oscar [big] money and I feel certain people have a market value.”

He declined to discuss the specifics of the proposed fight purse and other financial aspects, adding, “we guarantee a record purse for Manny Pacquiao, multiple times more than he has ever made so far. We think it’s a fair deal.”

Since winning his match against Steve Forbes in May, the Golden Boy De La Hoya has been looking for a grand finale fight before he rides off to the retirement sunset. A proposed re-match with Floyd Mayweather Jr. was rebuffed when Mayweather abruptly retired. Mexican counterpart Antonio Margarito lies waiting in the wings but after impressively thrashing Puerto Rican champion Miguel Cotto to a bloody pulp, De La Hoya would be best served to stay away from him.

Meanwhile, Pacquiao has also been looking for an opponent since his dominating performance against Mexican American David Diaz. That night, Pacquiao became the first Asian to capture four world titles in four different weight classes. The 29-year-old WBC Lightweight Champion’s first opponent choice was British contender Ricky Hatton at 140 pounds, but Hatton is already slated to fight New York champion Paulie Malignaggi in November.

Pacquiao’s other possible fights: a rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez would be out the door, Venezuelan knockout artist Edwin Valero is having a hard time getting medical clearance in Nevada and Humberto Soto lost his most recent match albeit by a technicality.

At first, a possible Pacquiao vs. De La Hoya bout was a only a pipe dream of fans and boxing enthusiasts wondering “what if” match ups but the idea began to pick up steam when Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach said Pacquiao could fight at 147 pounds, the welterweight class. In his last two matches, Pacquiao has weighed in the night of the fight at 146 and 147 pounds, respectively.

Schaeffer said that he’s confident that a Pacquiao vs. De La Hoya deal could be done.

“We have to do a lot of work on those three issues: the size of gloves, the weight – either at 149 or 150 pounds and financial split,” said Schaeffer. “I’ll say I’m cautiously optimistic. If I were to use percentages, I would say there’s a 75 percent chance a deal will be done in the next few weeks. I’ll be sitting down with Oscar next week. Arum will discuss this with Manny [when he gets back from the Olympics] and I’m sure in a few weeks everybody will know the outcome.”

(www.asianjournal.com)

Leave a comment

Filed under News

Golden Boy Wins

by Joseph Pimentel/Asianjournal.com

CARSON – The “Homecoming” festivities at the Home Depot Center last weekend did not disappoint Oscar De La Hoya’s fans.

In front of 27,000 people and millions of viewers at home,  the Golden Boy out-boxed, and out-hustled underdog Steve Forbes of the Contender series. De La Hoya used his comparative size advantage to win a near unanimous decision against Forbes.

Judge Max DeLuca and Marty Sammon scored the bout 119-109 and Marcos Rosales scored the bout 120-108.

The match sets up De La Hoya’s fight against the “Pretty Boy” Floyd Mayweather Jr. and another big payday for both fighters. Their last match hit a record 2.15 million pay-per-views buys and $120 million in revenue.

The question still lies — who will the Golden Boy be contending with after Mayweather Jr.? De La Hoya and the rest of Golden Boy, including CEO Richard Schaeffer are adamant that this is De La Hoya’s last year in boxing.

Negotiations are already underway for the Mayweather Jr. match, slated possibly sometime in September.

There have been rumors since late last year, that Manny Pacquiao could be De La Hoya’s last foe at a possible December date. Top Rank President Bob Arum, in an interview with Inquirer.net last year, said that it would be a “dream fight.”

Golden Boy off to the Philippines?

Fresh from co-promoting the Gerry Penalosa title defense fight last April, Golden Boy Promotions Vice President Eric Gomez said they look forward to coming back to the Philippines.

“We had such a good time there,” said Gomez to the Asian Journal before the start of the De La Hoya vs. Forbes match.

The recent trip to the Philippines was Golden Boy’s first co-promoting venture in the country. Golden Boy co-promoted “Invasion: Philippines vs. The World” at the Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City event with ABS-CBN. Gomez said the box office ticket sales were great. He estimated that about 5,000 people packed the arena.

“We were happy with the outcome, considering that it was a Sunday,” he said. “We had incredible ratings, the people came out, and more people watched online from around the world.”

Rising star

Gomez said that he was impressed with the three main Pinoy fighters in the undercard, specifically AJ “Bazooka” Banal.

Banal (17-0-1 13 KO’s) defeated Caril Herrera of Uruguay by TKO in Round 4. Banal threw a wicked right and left hook combination to the head of Herrera causing the latter to stagger to the ropes. The referee stepped in to stop the fight.

“It’s hard to gauge where AJ’s at because he just defeated the No. 1 guy in his division,” said Gomez. “We’re not going to rush him and make the same mistake we did with [Rey] Bautista. He’s only 19-years-old. He’s so young and so good. We want to be very, very careful. The plan is to take it slow with him.”

Gomez said that FilAm fight fans would have a chance to see Banal in action in the undercard of the De La Hoya vs. Mayweather matchup in September.

“Boom Boom” Bautista

Gomez also spoke highly of Rey “Boom Boom” Bautista’s most recent win also during the Invasion: Philippines undercard. Bautista defeated Genaro Camargo of Mexico and displayed a lot of punching power. He knocked down Genaro twice in the first round before finishing him off in the second round.

“He’s boxing more.He’s not as aggressive he was before… I still think he needs a couple more tune-up fights before another match with [WBO Champion Daniel] Ponce De Leon,” said Gomez.

Golden Boy, disappointed

Gomez expressed disappointment that the Top Rank President Bob Arum decided to forego an immediate Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel Marquez III re-match, opting instead to put  Pacquiao on a fight against another Mexican, WBC Lightweight Champion David Diaz of Chicago, Il.

“I mean obviously we would have liked the re-match to be with Marquez because we think that’s what the boxing public wants,” said Gomez. “Marquez received a warm reception when he was in the Philippines. And many people approached him and said that he won the fight over Pacquiao,” he further added.

(www.asianjournal.com)

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized